Wednesday, February 17, 2010

New Addition: Den Deli

You may have noticed a new addition to my top restaurant list. Den Deli. It is the newest addition to the "Den" trilogy. (Sushi Den, Izakaya Den, and Den Deli.) Thanks to my good friend Julie J. who informed me of its existence and also recommended it.

It's a casual place where you can get steaming bowls of noodles, such as ramen and udon, as well as ready-made deli-style foods to go (or dine-in), such as salads and bentos. They also make fresh Japanese-influenced sandwiches. Seafood and other Japanese grocery items are also available for purchase.

Jake and I took the kids there a couple of weeks ago. Jake ordered the ramen, I ordered the miso ramen, and we ordered one of the udons for the kids to share. Let me just preface my comments with this: it is extremely difficult to find real, Japanese restaurant ramen in this country, particularly if you don't live on the West coast. We were thrilled to find it here, finally. And they did a pretty darn good job of it, too. The kids' udon was quite delicious, also.

We also tried the hijiki salad and shumai (Chinese-style meat-filled dumplings) from the deli case. Both good, even though the hijiki salad was not to my liking. (It's a 'shroom thing. It was made with a shiitake base, and you know me and my thing with 'shrooms.)

Let's see if I can remember what else Den Deli offered: sushi, o-nigiri (balls of rice, wrapped in seaweed and filled with either salmon or pickles), Japanese potato salad, other salads, edamame, miso grilled cod, and Sushi Den's famous banana cream pie.

I highly recommend it. www.dendeli.net (the site is not up as of this writing, but soon to come)

No comments:

Post a Comment